Checklist for Moving
Before Moving Day
- Set a date for your move and contact professional movers for pricing.
- Gather all packing supplies: boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, markers and labels.
- Pack an essentials box with items you will need on your first night in your new home (i.e. Toilet Paper, Paper Towels, paper cups, etc.)
- Begin separating your items into those you will keep, donate or discard.
- Start packing items that you don’t use as frequently.
- Arrange for child and/or pet care for the day of the move.
- Get addresses of any new schools your children will attend after the move and have academic reports transferred to the new location.
- Give forwarding address to Post Office 4-6 weeks before moving day.
- Change address for any subscription services--they can take a few weeks to forward.
- Contact insurance companies and inquire about any policies that may be affected by the move.
- Contact utility companies and inquire about the transfer or cancellation of services including: Electric, Water, Gas, Telephone, Cell Phone, Cable/Satellite, Internet, Sewer and Trash Collection.
On Moving Day
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer 24 hours before leaving; use a few pieces of charcoal to reduce odors.
- Carry jewelry and important documents with you.
- Double check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave old keys, garage door openers, landscape/house plans and instruction manuals needed by the new owner with your Realtor®.
Notification of Address Change
- Alarm System
- Cleaning Services
- Doctor’s Offices
- Driver’s License Office
- Family & Friends
- Utility Providers
- Lawn Services
- Gym Memberships
- Subscription Services
- Credit Card Companies and Banks
- Voter Registration
- Insurance Companies
- Accountant & Attorney